Best of the Week
Most Popular
1. Investing in a Bubble Mania Stock Market Trending Towards Financial Crisis 2.0 CRASH! - 9th Sep 21
2.Tech Stocks Bubble Valuations 2000 vs 2021 - 25th Sep 21
3.Stock Market FOMO Going into Crash Season - 8th Oct 21
4.Stock Market FOMO Hits September Brick Wall - Evergrande China's Lehman's Moment - 22nd Sep 21
5.Crypto Bubble BURSTS! BTC, ETH, XRP CRASH! NiceHash Seizes Funds on Account Halting ALL Withdrawals! - 19th May 21
6.How to Protect Your Self From a Stock Market CRASH / Bear Market? - 14th Oct 21
7.AI Stocks Portfolio Buying and Selling Levels Going Into Market Correction - 11th Oct 21
8.Why Silver Price Could Crash by 20%! - 5th Oct 21
9.Powell: Inflation Might Not Be Transitory, After All - 3rd Oct 21
10.Global Stock Markets Topped 60 Days Before the US Stocks Peaked - 23rd Sep 21
Last 7 days
Stock Market January PANIC AI Tech Stocks Buying Opp - Trend Forecast 2022 - 21st Jan 21
How to Get Rich in the MetaVerse - 20th Jan 21
Should you Buy Payment Disruptor Stocks in 2022? - 20th Jan 21
2022 the Year of Smart devices, Electric Vehicles, and AI Startups - 20th Jan 21
Oil Markets More Animated by Geopolitics, Supply, and Demand - 20th Jan 21
WARNING - AI STOCK MARKET CRASH / BEAR SWITCH TRIGGERED! - 19th Jan 22
Fake It Till You Make It: Will Silver’s Motto Work on Gold? - 19th Jan 22
Crude Oil Smashing Stocks - 19th Jan 22
US Stagflation: The Global Risk of 2022 - 19th Jan 22
Stock Market Trend Forecast Early 2022 - Tech Growth Value Stocks Rotation - 18th Jan 22
Stock Market Sentiment Speaks: Are We Setting Up For A 'Mini-Crash'? - 18th Jan 22
Mobile Sports Betting is on a rise: Here’s why - 18th Jan 22
Exponential AI Stocks Mega-trend - 17th Jan 22
THE NEXT BITCOIN - 17th Jan 22
Gold Price Predictions for 2022 - 17th Jan 22
How Do Debt Relief Services Work To Reduce The Amount You Owe? - 17th Jan 22
RIVIAN IPO Illustrates We are in the Mother of all Stock Market Bubbles - 16th Jan 22
All Market Eyes on Copper - 16th Jan 22
The US Dollar Had a Slip-Up, but Gold Turned a Blind Eye to It - 16th Jan 22
A Stock Market Top for the Ages - 16th Jan 22
FREETRADE - Stock Investing Platform, the Good, Bad and Ugly Review, Free Shares, Cancelled Orders - 15th Jan 22
WD 14tb My Book External Drive Unboxing, Testing and Benchmark Performance Amazon Buy Review - 15th Jan 22
Toyland Ferris Wheel Birthday Fun at Gulliver's Rother Valley UK Theme Park 2022 - 15th Jan 22
What You Should Know About a TailoredPay High Risk Merchant Account - 15th Jan 22
Best Metaverse Tech Stocks Investing for 2022 and Beyond - 14th Jan 22
Gold Price Lagging Inflation - 14th Jan 22
Get Your Startup Idea Up And Running With These 7 Tips - 14th Jan 22
What Happens When Your Flight Gets Cancelled in the UK? - 14th Jan 22
How to Profit from 2022’s Biggest Trend Reversal - 11th Jan 22
Stock Market Sentiment Speaks: Are We Ready To Drop To 4400SPX? - 11th Jan 22
What's the Role of an Affiliate Marketer? - 11th Jan 22
Essential Things To Know Before You Set Up A Limited Liability Company - 11th Jan 22
NVIDIA THE KING OF THE METAVERSE! - 10th Jan 22
Fiscal and Monetary Cliffs Have Arrived - 10th Jan 22
The Meteoric Rise of Investing in Trading Cards - 10th Jan 22
IBM The REAL Quantum Metaverse STOCK! - 9th Jan 22
WARNING Failing NVME2 M2 SSD Drives Can Prevent Systems From Booting - Corsair MP600 - 9th Jan 22
The Fed’s inflated cake and a ‘quant’ of history - 9th Jan 22
NVME M2 SSD FAILURE WARNING Signs - Corsair MP600 1tb Drive - 9th Jan 22
Meadowhall Sheffield Christmas Lights 2021 Shopping - Before the Switch on - 9th Jan 22
How Does Insurance Work In Europe? Find Out Here - 9th Jan 22
MATTERPORT (MTTR) - DIGITIZING THE REAL WORLD - METAVERSE INVESTING 2022 - 7th Jan 22
Effect of Deflation On The Gold Price - 7th Jan 22
Stock Market 2022 Requires Different Strategies For Traders/Investors - 7th Jan 22
Old Man Winter Will Stimulate Natural Gas and Heating Oil Demand - 7th Jan 22
Is The Lazy Stock Market Bull Strategy Worth Considering? - 7th Jan 22
METAVERSE - NEW LIFE FOR SONY AGEING GAMING GIANT? - 6th Jan 2022
What Elliott Waves Show for Asia Pacific Stock and Financial Markets 2022 - 6th Jan 2022
Why You Should Register Your Company - 6th Jan 2022
4 Ways to Invest in Silver for 2022 - 6th Jan 2022
UNITY (U) - Metaverse Stock Analysis Investing for 2022 and Beyond - 5th Jan 2022
Stock Market Staving Off Risk-Off - 5th Jan 2022
Gold and Silver Still Hungover After New Year’s Eve - 5th Jan 2022
S&P 500 In an Uncharted Territory, But Is Sky the Limit? - 5th Jan 2022

Market Oracle FREE Newsletter

How to Protect your Wealth by Investing in AI Tech Stocks

Stock Market Cycle Turning Points Analysis 1st July 2007

Stock-Markets / Cycles Analysis Jul 01, 2007 - 04:17 PM GMT

By: Andre_Gratian

Stock-Markets

Current Position of the Market.

SPX: Long-Term Trend - The 12-year cycle is still in its up-phase but, as we approach its mid-point some of its dominant components are topping and could lead to a severe correction over the next few months.

SPX: Intermediate Trend - Intermediate cycles are causing a consolidation/correction in the uptrend which could last a few more weeks.

Analysis of the short-term trend is done on a daily basis with the help of hourly charts. It is an important adjunct to the analysis of daily and weekly charts which determines the course of longer market trends.

Daily market analysis of the short term trend is reserved for subscribers. If you would like to sign up for a FREE 4-week trial period of daily comments, please let me know at ajg@cybertrails.com .

Over the past month, large cap indices have established a consolidation pattern consisting -- so far -- of a double top and a double bottom. For the SPX, this represents about a 55 point range whose low was successfully tested last week in conjunction with the bottoming of a short-term cycle. This caused a rebound into Friday where it met, once again with selling about half way through its range. The Russell 2000 pattern is slightly weaker with a series of descending tops, and the Nasdaq slightly
stronger.

Intermediate term cycles which are due to make their lows over the next few weeks are responsible for temporarily arresting the uptrend. They are not expected to bring about much weakness, but by the time they bottom, the trading range of the SPX should be broken to the downside.

One sector which is pressuring the market is the banking sector. The subprime mortgage fiasco which is unfolding is creating a negative chart pattern for this index, and one could even argue that it established a long-term top in February. I say unfolding, because some believe that it will get much worse and, according to John Mauldin, may reach losses of $250 billion. But, with the Fed
assuring us that this weakness will not spread to the rest of the economy, and the belief that if it does, the Fed will come to the rescue, the market does not seem to be overly concerned at this time. Part of the reason is that the psychological climate is not ripe for investors to worry about this or any other problem. It could be different by year end and going into next year, as longer term cycles roll
over.

The influence of the BKX is primarily on the SPX, and this is one of the reasons why the Nasdaq is stronger technically. The latter is being helped by a recent rash of excellent earnings reports by tech stocks. On Friday, the NDX came very close to its former high, and although it has slowed its rise during this consolidation, it is still making a pattern of higher highs and higher lows.

Last week, I mentioned that crude oil was on the rise again and that the Point & Figure chart suggested that the continuous contract could see $75 before long. Last week it rose to $71 and still looks higher. But while its rise in price had a psychological impact when it first reached $80 a year ago, little seems to be made of it this time around -- and probably for the same reason as that given
above.

What’s Ahead?

Momentum:
We'll continue to examine the same SPX chart (courtesy of StockCharts) in order to give a continuity to our analysis.

I have drawn some channels to identify the various trends. The up-trending red channel was broken when the index began its consolidation. The broader blue channel may represent the current trend. If this is so, the index will eventually find the bottom trend line or go slightly beyond by the time it makes its low.

The MACD (at the bottom) has gone from a very overbought condition to slightly negative. At this time, it does not look quite ready to turn back up. The other momentum indicator at the top is the RSI. You can see that it has stabilized at a neutral reading. I would expect it to become more oversold before the consolidation ends.

The first decline was arrested by the 50 DMA , but the index is now trading below it. This is causing the MA to slow its rise and potentially begin to roll over. The 200 DMA is still far below and not threatened in any way.

The overall chart pattern suggests that more consolidation is needed, which is consistent with the current cycle outlook.

Cycles
A short-term cycle which made its low on 6/27 caused the short-term decline into that time frame. It was also the cause of the rebound which took place over the next two days. Friday's action was more erratic and volatile than normal because of the end-of-quarter activity, but it looks as if the rally came to an end for the SPX at 1517 in the first hour of trading on Friday.

This is what a subsequent decline of 23 points for the rest of the day suggests. I suppose that you could blame it on volatility, but it looks a little excessive. Since the 2.5-week cycle is due to make its low right around 7/4, it could be the cause of the retracement and it could also bottom early. The first few days of July are historically bullish.

Two more short-term cycles, the 6-week and 20-day, are scheduled to bottom early the following week so near-term, there are more reasons for the market to go down than up.

The 20-week cycle should ideally keep the market under pressure until about the 4th week in July. This cycle on its own does not always produce much of an impact. But this also represents the 80- wk cycle low, and it will be further reinforced by the bottoming of the 4.5-yr cycle. The only question is whether the 4.5-yr will make its low exactly at the same time or a little later. Some see a low in
mid-August. We'll just have to let the market tell us.

If all these cycles arrive at the prescribed time, it would be difficult for the market to muster any kind of an uptrend before the end of July, at the earliest. But remember that what comes down also goes up, afterwards! This is when it will get interesting because even longer cycles will be in a position to turn down by then, and they may not exert enough influence on the market to keep it from making a new high.

Projections
From the last newsletter:
From the lows made last week, we can establish confirming counts and Fibonacci projections both to 1538 and to 1560. 1538 was reached on Friday and stopped the advance. We'll see next week if it's only temporary or longer lasting.

The 1538 projection did establish the peak of the rally from 6/08. The Morning Comment this past Thursday stated the following:

Yesterday's close was right at a resistance point and this may cause a pause in the rally. The market may also want to wait for the Fed decision which is due later on today. Over the next few days, the SPX should continue to trend higher. Another pause at 1510-11 is likely, and then 1516-17. After that level is reached, we'll reassess the short-term trend to see if it is beginning to form a topping pattern which will mark the end of the rally.

The Fed decision, which was received favorably by the market, took the SPX a little past 1511 and the next day it reached the second projection at 1517. As discussed above, this looks like an important enough reversal to put a short-term top in place. The only thing that bothers me is that the advance/decline managed to remain in its short-term uptrend. It could mean additional distribution
will be needed before the SPX can head lower.

Concerning projections for the intermediate-term low, I have nothing solid at this point. 1464 seems reasonable if we can make a decisive penetration of the 1488 level. The first attempt was stopped at 1485 on 6/27. It if is challenged again in the next two weeks, it should be penetrated this time.

Breadth
This is where the relative strength of the Nasdaq to the SPX shows up very clearly. While the NYSE summation index is plunging, the Nasdaq index has gone into a sideways pattern. The reason for this dichotomy was discussed above. With the cycles that lie ahead, it will be interesting to see how this disparity resolves itself.

Market leaders & Sentiment
Remember this chart which I posted last time? This is the updated version:

On Friday, its reading reached 197, which prompted me to issue this update: